Washington's Tybo Rogers charged on two rape allegations

Washington running back Tybo Rogers was arrested Friday and charged with two instances of rape that allegedly took place during the 2023 football season, according to charging documents obtained by ESPN.

Rogers was charged with second- and third-degree rape and posted bail of $150,000, according to Seattle police. He will be arraigned on April 18.

"The University of Washington Intercollegiate Athletics Department is aware of the arrest of a football student-athlete by the Seattle Police Department," UW Athletics said in a statement. "The student-athlete has been suspended from all team activities until further notice. The UW will continue to gather facts and cooperate with law enforcement, as requested."

Rogers was suspended from team activities near the end of November and did not travel with the team for the Pac-12 championship game on Dec. 1, according to a certification for determination of probable cause document, written by a Seattle police detective. He later appeared in the College Football Playoff semifinal and championship games.

According to the document, one of the women, a University of Washington student, reported her assault to the university's Title IX office on Nov. 28. It also says there were "multiple emails sent within the University of Washington Athletic Department confirming Rogers should be taken off the travel roster for the Pac-12 Championship game."

None of the emails, according to the detective's report, contained information for why Rogers should not travel to the game.

There were also text messages referencing Rogers and questions being asked about what was going on with him by different people including Rogers' father," the detective wrote.

The detective concluded, based on the proximity to when the Title IX report was filed, that his suspension was related to the allegation.

Then-Washington athletic director Troy Dannen, who left for Nebraska last month, declined comment through a spokesperson.

"As soon as we found out about any allegations, [we] suspended him indefinitely from the program," said UW coach Jedd Fisch, who was hired in January to replace Kalen DeBoer after DeBoer left to coach at Alabama following the season.

The first alleged rape happened in late October. Rogers met the woman, a student at Seattle Central Community College, on the dating app Tinder, according to police. The assault took place inside her apartment, after which she immediately reported it to her mother, who took her to a local hospital for a SANE exam (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner). She reported it to law enforcement on Oct. 28.

Rogers met the second woman, the UW student, at a Halloween party before connecting on Tinder a short time later. After she invited Rogers to her apartment, she told police, he was almost immediately forceful with her. After the sexual assault, the woman told police she experienced redness and soreness on multiple places on her body.

On Nov. 28, after the second woman reported her assault to UW's Title IX office, police said Rogers called her asking her "why she was accusing him of all of this." The woman has since felt the need to drop out of school and move back with her parents to support her medically and emotionally, according to police.

As a freshman in 2023, Rogers rushed 44 times for 184 yards and had six receptions for 72 yards. He was a three-star recruit out of California's Bakersfield High School in the Class of 2023.